| Dec 4, 02:52 PM
In our factory we are from time to time facing true challenges. Recently we found ourselves in urgent need to find an in-house solution for molding the plastic parts for the film cassettes. Our supplier went bankrupt and it was not possible to find a new supplier on short notice.
In order to became fully self sufficient we had to source and purchase the right molding machines and equipment. All of them were bought in an online auction where we managed to place the right bid at the right time, thanks to a special bidding team in a bidding room furnished with fast internet connection and lots of coffee. After lots of excitement we succeeded in getting all “must have” machines and equipment for very reasonable prices.
Then came the one and only day when we had to disconnect, dismantle, pack and moving the machines and equipment. For this delicate operation a special team was assigned and an external transportation company had to be hired for moving the 8-11 tons heavy molding machines. As shown on attached pictures, 2 big cranes and 2 big trucks were needed for loading and moving the molding machines. Further excitement was added by the time limiting fact that we only had 1 (one) day available for disconnecting, dismantling, packaging and moving the machines and equipment. An execution plan was made and the different tasks were divided within the team.
The building where we had to dismantle the machines was powerless, cold and dark. One of the first things we did was installing a temporarily power supply unit to provide us with power for the light and the tooling. As we were not the only buyers who have been successful at the online auction, it became sort of a real fight about who got to move and load his heavy machines first.
Once our machines were loaded and transported to Enschede, the next challenge was moving everything into our factory – obviously it was not as simple as taking the front door. This was done by an external company. The machines had to be installed on the third floor of the building and had to be craned with highly precision through the side opening of the building. Because the width of opening nearly fits the machines width, this was really an accurate job.
The machines are on the production floor now and the installation and reconnecting is in progress. According schedule, the machines and molding process will be operational in this 1st week of December. Having this whole project completed in December, we have secured our plastic film cassette supply and thus our film making process. The Impossible team who made this all happen, did a very good job. The team members were very committed and they understood the challenge and importance to get this job done on time.